POLICE have now been investigating the murder of Saltcoats man Alan Lawson for over a week.

Alan, 36, described as "a quiet man" by neighbours, is believed to have been brutally assaulted at a property in Alexander Avenue, Largs, on Saturday, February 3.

He was then left for dead at his home in New England Road, Saltcoats, the following day, and died from his injuries in hospital two days later.

It has been claimed that Alan's killer held him hostage and subjected him to a shocking attack - some of which was filmed and uploaded to instant messaging app Snapchat.

There have been a number of developments in the case since the murder investigations was officially launched on Wednesday, February 7 - here is what we know so far.

Investigation launched

Police Scotland confirmed that they were treating Alan's death as a murder inquiry the day after he died in hospital.

They described the attack as "targeted" and issued a public plea for assistance as they looked to piece together the events of the night.

A day later, they stepped up their efforts as they maintained a strong presence outside both Alan's home on New England Road and that which he was assaulted in Alexander Avenue in Largs.

Ayrshire Today: Police outside of Alan's home in Saltcoats.

Officers from Police Scotland's major investigation team said they were following "a positive line of enquiry" at this time - a position they have maintained since.

READ MORE: Murder investigation launched after Saltcoats man dies following 'targeted attack'

Detectives also launched an online portal for members of the public with information to contact officers directly.

The online portal that gives people access to a form to send information, pictures or videos directly to the team can be accessed at mipp.police.uk/operation/SCOT24S03-PO1.

In addition to the online portal, anyone with information can also call Police Scotland on 101 quoting reference 3304 of 4 February.

Alternatively, contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.


Following his death Alan's family vowed to get justice for him as they shared their heartbreak saying that the situation had left them "numb".

His sister Amie Lawson, 32, said in a post on Facebook: "My big bro Alan has sadly passed. We are lost for words.

READ MORE: Murder victim's heartbroken family share 'total shock' after Alan Lawson's death

"I am numb. I'm never going to be the same now. I'm completely devastated.

"Thank you for all the messages. Me and my wee mum appreciate it. We are broken and in total shock.

"Love you so much Alan. We will get justice for you."

Alan was also described as a "quiet man" by a neighbour who was left in total shock at the situation.

READ MORE: Police step up murder probe with new online portal after 'quiet man' Alan killed

They said: "No one I've talked to heard anything. It is absolutely horrible.

"I don't think any of the neighbours knew Alan well. He kept himself to himself, but would always say hello to you in the street.

"He was quiet and a nice enough neighbour. He came to our door to see if we could help when his phone went down recently."

Their partner added: "Whatever happened in that flat, it must have been quietly. It is awful to think about."

Community support

Shortly after being made aware of Alan's murder - the community acted fast to show support for his bereaved family as fundraiser was launched in a bid to support his loved ones with funeral costs.

A GoFundMe page was set up and stated: "No one can believe what has happened to Alan or the horror he and his family are going through.

READ MORE: Fundraiser for Alan launched to help family after murder

"We have set up this page to try and help ease the burden of having to worry about funeral expenses as they are already trying to come to teams with what’s happened without having to worry about anything else. We know funerals are not cheap.

"Any small donation would help massively and would be deeply appreciated. Let's give Alan the send-off he deserves!"

In a true showing of respect and community spirit, an incredible £11,221 has already been raised in little over a week.

Those wishing to make a donation can do so here.

Police operations

In recent days, Police Scotland have conducted at least two operations as part of their investigation.

Part of Canal Street in Saltcoats was locked down on Wednesday, February 14, as a large number of officers descended on a property as part of their probe.

Ayrshire Today: What appeared to be armed police were seen surrounding a house after Canal Street was partially

Images from the scene showed what appeared to be armed police officers surrounding one of the properties on the street and people were spotted being taken away from the area.

However, after vacating the scene police confirmed that no arrests had been made.

READ MORE: No arrests made in major Saltcoats operation linked to Alan Lawson murder, police say

Another operation was then carried out in the evening of the following day in nearby Ardrossan as a block of flats were searched as part of their investigations.

Officers descended on the flats, which sit adjacent to the Asda supermarket car park and Harbour Street, which form part of the Winton Buildings.

It is understood that both uniformed and plain clothed officers entered the building at around 7pm on Thursday, February 15.

READ MORE: Ardrossan flats searched in Alan Lawson murder probe as police issue update

Though again, the force confirmed that no arrests were made as a result of the operation.

While some people have claimed further operations have taken place elsewhere, these two remain the only ones to be confirmed at present.

The police's enquiries continue.