A MURDER bid thug carried out a horror attack with a machete in Newmilns - after sending a photo of the weapon and telling his victim: "You will not be living any more."

Liam Logan had become annoyed at the young man for apparently "flirting" with his girlfriend.

The 18-year-old left his victim with brain injuries after the horrific assault on February 5, 2023.

Logan now faces a lengthy spell behind bars after he pleaded guilty to an attempted murder charge at the High Court in Glasgow.

The two young men were at the same college, but were not friends.

They were with others, including Logan's girlfriend, at a house in the town.

Prosecutor Stephen McCloy told the court: "Logan had been drinking heavily and became annoyed by his perception that [the victim] was flirting with her."

Logan was later told to leave the house.

He went on to contact the man via Snapchat asking if he "wanted to meet to talk about things".

Logan then sent more messages via another person, threatening him.

Mr McCloy: "It included one stating 'you will not be living any more' and a picture of a machete."

The victim went to meet Logan, but was baffled as to why he was threatening him.

The thug was found on the street yelling at him.

Mr McCloy: "Logan ran towards him and struck him on the head once with the machete. 

"He stumbled and fell to the ground."

Logan fled as a member of the public went to the aid of the stricken victim.

The attacker was later found by police and said: "He is my mate. I cannot believe it happened. Is he going to be OK?"

He claimed he'd had to "defend" himself as the young man had came at him with a bottle.

The student suffered a skull fracture with bleeding and bruising of the brain.

Fortunately he was able to leave hospital around a fortnight later, but had initial issues with his speech and walking.

The court was told his condition has improved, but he still suffers from anxiety, and has found his college studies "more of a challenge".

The young man has also been left scarred for life.

Logan had been due to plead guilty to the crime at a court hearing in February this year, but he failed to appear in the dock.

He was arrested on a warrant in late March. 

Judge Lord Scott remanded him in custody and sentencing was adjourned for reports until next month.